Monday, November 1, 2010

2010 Pioneer Trek

Our Trek Family
Words cannot describe what an incredible experience the pioneer trek was and to be able to experience it with our boys made it that much more special.  I can actually say it was life changing in so many ways.  The pioneer trek is a reenactment of the pioneers coming across the plains to the west, 500 youth, along with adult leaders participated  pulling handcarts 25 miles in 2 1/2 days up hills and over rocks.  Wade and I were a Ma and Pa of 10 youth. 

My friends who were the other Ma's, trained for 2 months prior by walking every morning together.  Also to prepare I read every journal and story I could get my hands on.  Recounting those stories while walking I felt as though I could feel a small part of what they went through and gain strength from them.  So many of them experienced things that I have never and will never experience in my life, all for their religious freedom.  Their testimonies, positive attitudes and desire to follow the Lord, help me on a dailly basis to know that I too can walk with faith in every footstep and overcome obstacles and adversity in my own life.
The first night we froze and didn't sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time,  it really gave me a glimpse of what it would have been like for the handcart companies. I was thankful for the experience and since I have been back home I feel like I can not take anything for granted.  I am so thankful for my warm comfy bed, toilets,toilet paper, shelter, clean clothes, comfy socks and shoes, food, and most of all the sacrifices of these early Saints so that we too can have the gospel of Christ that blesses are lives so abundantly.  It was definitely the hard that made this experience "Great".  I realized that with the Lord's help I too can do hard things.

3 comments:

Jill Heaps said...

What a great experience both physically and spiritually! We are going next summer and I can't wait!

Amber said...

I loved talking with you today! We already made our gratitude door. Thanks for the reminder. Nicki loved it so much that she made the front and back of her bedroom into a gratitude door. Your trek experience is amazing.I'm so glad you got to go. We miss your family. Can't wait to see you!

marilyn said...

How lucky for your "kids" to have you and Wade for their Ma and Pa, that is an experience to never forget, I loved the pictures! Love you