Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"Better to be Safe than Sorry"

Laurisa had open heart surgery over 7 years ago and for three years after had chest pain that started in her back every few months as a complication. For the past 4 years she has been so healthy, so yesterday when she woke with the pain in her back it had me a bit concerned. She tried not to let me know about it because she didn't want me to worry. So this morning when she still had it I called her cardiologist to see what we should do. He told me to go to the E.R. and have some tests done.I just couldn't wait to have Laurisa come home and tell her we needed to run some tests....I just knew she would be so excited! She actually agreed, so we went to lunch and then I took her to the E.R. The pain had gone away by this point, but I told her, "it would be better to be safe than sorry", since we haven't had tests run for over four years.
When we got there we thought we would do a few tests and be out of there---wrong! They admitted us and started hooking her up with all these tubes and wires. You should have seen the look on her face when they put oxygen tubes in her nose. We both started laughing and couldn't stop the whole three hours in the hospital! We had so much fun cracking jokes with each other and reading our books while cuddled togehter in the hospital bed in blankets. I could have fun doing anything with this girl, she makes everything fun! I kept telling the different nurses that my daughter feels fine and is going to be so mad at me doing this to her and they kept saying,"Better to be Safe than Sorry!!! Sorry Laurisa but it made for a fun memory!
The thing I feel the worst about is that she has to go tomorrow and have her blood drawn again for a volunteer internship program she was accepted in to work at the hospital. I told her she is the bravest girl I know and now will know what it feels like to be on the other end when she helps patients!

13 comments:

marilyn said...

This was a shock, it really took my breath away, at first glance I couldn't tell if it was Monica or Laurisa. Our prayers are with you Laurisa, I agree better safe then sorry, you are so amazing you will dazzle the doctors with your smile, they might just try and keep you there longer cause you are so precious. You are loved and I know in the best of care! love you

Amber said...

You are so on the ball! Keep us posted. Laurisa is a trooper. I agree, better safe than sorry. You both are so much fun no matter where you are!

Jill Heaps said...

Let us know what you find out. Hopefully it will all be just a very funny memory of a few hours of crazy tests! Love you!!!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

I didn't realize some of my kids didn't even know about Laurisa's surgery. The picture shocked everyone! However,the huge smile did help ease our worries!:) Let us know. AND again CONGRATS on the job!!!! love you!

Britt said...

I am glad I saw the thumbs up and huge smile! I was about to grab the phone and call!!!!!
Glad you were safe.
hugs, Britt

michelle said...

I agree, better safe than sorry. I am glad that all is well.

It looks like you have been having some fun over at your house. The Super Bowl party looks like it was a great time!

Are you going over to Kim's tonight? I will give you a call. It would be fun to go together.

Janelle said...

Oh my! I'm so glad everything is okay! It's great that you guys can smile and laugh through it all!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything is OK. Keep the "thumbs up" attitude Laurisa!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Hey mon,

Looks like we're a go! Mac is officially signed up with Jake for EFY! Have a good day, LOVE you.

Ging said...

Dang...when it rains it poors. Keep us posted! Love you guys!

Tammy said...

guess Lauris is just trying to get a feel for her new job:)
compassion and patience for ER rooms. we are relieved to hear she is ok, what was the diagnosise? we sure love that girl and your sweet family. You always make us smile!!! keep us posted.

Mindy said...

I love how you two made special memories in what could have been such a downer day! What a cute girl and so brave!

THE BESSE BUNCH said...

I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER LAURIS!!! KEEP ME POSTED. I LOVE AND MISS YOU GUYS!! HEY I KNOW THAT JOS WENT PRIVATE, HERE IS MY EMAIL hollidolly26@yahoo.com.

love you tons!!!