Friday, February 27, 2009

A Blessing in our Lives!

Beginning this school year our children were talking with us over the dinner table how they want to be consistent with their personal scripture study along with their family scripture study! They were saying that you really have to be self motivated since they took away seminary recognition awards for reading consistently every night. So with this question from our children Wade came up with a proposal on each of their doors the next day and this is what it read......
What a blessing it has been to our family to not only read together the scriptures but to be able to study and read them individually---together! I have to admit some nights there are distractions like this one, when Roxy decided to jump up in her seat to join us!
But what a blessing it has been to read together the word of God and after discuss what we have learned. I am enjoying reading the New Testament for my Institute class and am able to get insight from my kids because they are studying the same scriptures in their Seminary classes. I learn so much from my children. I believe that Heavenly Father sent my children to me so I could learn from them! They truly bless my life by their example. I feel so blessed for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and his teachings in my life. I have never felt the Lord so strongly in my life which has made our relationships with family so deep and close. The Lord is continually blessing our family in so many ways. The Love of God is real and is there for all to partake! A quote that I have recently leaned on is by Bruce C. Hafen, "Our worth lies in our understanding of ourselves as children of God and that it does not depend on our talents, our heritage, our appearance, or our intelligence. It depends on our love of God." I have the most amazing family that teaches me what is truly important in life. Families are eternal and I am so grateful for mine that the Lord has blessed me with in this life and in the eternities!

11 comments:

Amber said...

I am so touched! I really love this. The picture with Roxy at the table is soooo awesome. LOL!!! I'm in on this one. The treat and note make this so much fun. I might have to steal your post and stick it on my blog so even more people can see this very awesome idea. Send it to the Ensign. This would help me and I'm an adult. Okay, an ADD adult, but still. I want to come to your 9:30 appointment with you guys!!

The Breinholts said...

Monica! Thank you for your kind words. I think you have it backwards--YOU are the AMAZING ones! We sure appreciate your example in all things--you truly live the gospel how you should and that is awesome! Thanks for being great friends to us...

Britt said...

Monica....you are such a gem! What a wonderful idea. And great photo of Roxy. I love the example you are setting to learn more of the savior and his teachings. I am so blessed to have you as a friend!
hugs

Jill Heaps said...

What a wonderful thing for your family to do! I can't wait to show Emily the picture of Roxy...it will make her laugh! You are are such an amazing family who is such a great example of always striving to do whats right and so willing to keep trying new things to make your lives better! Thanks for the great idea! LOVE YOU--you are all in our prayers :)

michelle said...

This is a wonderful post! This is such a great idea! I am so glad to see you back, and posting! I missed you. :)

marilyn said...

I'm sure glad you got Roxy doing whats right, I was starting to worry about her. It just shows everyone benefits that is part of the Whiting Family. Your family is truly awesome, and I say with all humility how thankful I am for all of you, your example and always reaching for and raising the bar, I know your family is being blessed, and that brings much peace to your parents that are so proud of you. Love you

Kim said...

Monica- I LOVED this idea! And LOVED that you even personally invited them with such a cute flyer. What a great way for your kids to set time aside for personal scripture reading- doing it together. You guys are amazing and I love all your ideas!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Thank you for sharing! I had never thought of personal study....together! I love this. Working towards the same goal, what a geat bonding time. You are such an amazing mom. I love you.

Meg said...

YEAH!!! You posted!! I have truly missed your posts! And what an AWESOME idea!! I am with Amber.. more people need to see that! I think it is also AWESOME that your kids came to you and told you what they need and that as a TEAM you conquered it!! WAY TO BE!! That is exactly what the Lord wants us to do!! That is ZION!

Cara said...

This is such a great thing for your family! My parent's were always so diligent in waking us kids up at 6AM to read scriptures as a family and I am so thnakful to them for that! What great memories

wendy said...

Roxy at the table. Hilarious.