Monday, June 29, 2009

Hawaii BIG ISLAND

We were invited by our friends to go to Hawaii. When they shared with us the deal they were getting it was hard to pass up the invite. It was our first time to visit the Big Island. It was our favorite Island because there was so much to do. Everyday was a "new adventure". We loved seeing the active volcano splash red lava into the ocean, scuba diving at night with the giant 12 feet manta rays, hiking to waterfalls and beautiful hidden black sand beaches. The Big Island has so much to offer. It is the only Island that you can snow ski and surf in the same day. It has an active volcano that is erupting continually which is making the island increase in size by the minute. It's landscape is black volcano rock on the Kona side and lush tropical landscape on the Hilo side. We enjoyed going to the Kona temple. The setting was so beautiful and I loved the grounds they had fan palms and orchids growing.I was so proud of myself doing my first night dive. I was afraid the giant rays would bump into me and knock off my mask at the bottom of the ocean. I couldn't believe how much I truly enjoyed swimming with these gentle creatures. They did swim within an inch of my mask and only bumped me once, which was a little freaky, but it was truly one the of most thrilling experiences. Wade and I just layed on the bottom of the ocean and watched 8 giant Mantas fly through the water. They are beautiful creatures.We enjoyed hiking on the volcano and through the lava tubes!Our Hotel was like a city within itself. You had to take a monorail or boat to each part of the hotel. They had a dolphin exhibit and amazing pools, slides and places to snorkel! It was the best snorkeling in all Hawaii. Wade and I are always ready to come home after a week, but not this time. We were so sad to leave. I think I've been homesick for Hawaii ever since I've been home. I think I am a converted "Island girl"!

10 comments:

Meg said...

I LOVE your dresses Monica!! They are totally my style and I am the BIGGEST fan! You two again always adventurous and off doing something magnificent! Hope you have many more like it!

Amber said...

You look so young and beautiful! You two are so photogenic.I love your Hawaiian outfits.

You've got me hooked on Hawaii. These pictures are gorgeous and amazing. Glad you two had such a wonderful time!!

The Breinholts said...

Oh, Monica! I just live my dreams through you, traveling girl! I am so glad you have such amazing fun--you deserve it! Love ya!

Britt said...

You and Wade deserved that trip! It is fun to see all the pictures and to see you both so relaxed and having so much fun! I am glad you have converted to the "island style" lolol

Cara said...

So jealous! It's been a couple years since we've been to HI and I miss it too. I didn't know Kona had a temple, I learned something new!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

What wonderful pictures! I would love to be a convert of the big Island, it sounds amazing. I too thought all your dresses were so super cute--you looked like a native! We can't wait to see you all!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

p.s. Way to conquer your fears and experience such a memorable dive!!

Speaking from personal experience...diving can definitely take you out of your comfort zone!

You are an adventure girl!

Jill Heaps said...

fun fun fun! I am so glad you had another wonderful trip! Your favorite of the summer is going to be coming to Utah of course though :)

Katie said...

What a beautiful couple on a beautiful island. So glad you had fun.

marilyn said...

I feel so bad for you and Wade you have such a boring life. You make everything beautiful and fun. I don't know how you put so much into life, you just know how to make everthing so fun, our memories of being with you in Hawaii are some of our very favorite, I love the pictures!!!!