Monday, March 9, 2009

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining!

Laurisa took this beautiful picture of these heavenly clouds. She has a gift for noticing the beauty around her. It reminds me of a quote by Jeffrey R Holland, "Even if you cannot always see that silver lining on your clouds, God can, for he is the very source of the light you seek." How true this quote is to our family right now. God is the source of light that we seek. As many of you may already know our oldest daughter Joslyn who was married last June came back home to live with us after she discovered her husband was living a double life and was never honest with her when they took their marriage vows in the temple. She discovered that he continued to be unfaithful to her during their marriage. It came as a huge surprise to her. She is in the process of having her marriage annulled and slowly putting the shattered pieces of her life back together. I know that we are here to be tested and overcome trials, although I think it is harder as a parent to see our children suffer and overcome trials, than it is to go through them ourselves. Joslyn is such an amazing example to me and has become a much stronger person through this experience. A quote by Elder Cook that has helped me states, This life is not always easy, nor was it meant to be; it is a time of testing and proving." Our family has realized that it is not the trial but how we handle the trial that tests and proves us. Elder Ronald A Rasband explains, "Our personal journey through life provides us with many special experiences that become building blocks of faith and testimony. These experiences come to us in vastly different ways and at unpredictable times. They can be powerful spiritual events or small enlightening moments. Some experiences will come as serious challenges and heavy trials that test our ability to cope with them. No matter what the experiences may be, each gives us a chance for personal growth, greater wisdom, and in many cases, service to others with more empathy and love. As the Lord stated to the Prophet Joseph Smith in a reassuring way during one of his hardest trials he faced at Liberty Jail, "All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (D & C 122:7)
I love this scripture the Lord gave to Joseph, it helps me realize why we go through trial in our life---to make us a better person. I have realized this as I have seen Joslyn be strengthened in the Lord. Her desire to come through this trial a better person is so apparent in her actions and words. She is a rock and truly an example to our family. It is amazing to me to see how trials can help our family even become stronger and closer. The Lord has blessed us abundantly and we feel of his presence so strongly in all of our lives.

14 comments:

Hermana Caitlin McGrath said...

your family is amazing!! i just adore you guys. thanks to you and laurisa for being SUCH great examples in my life. you are truly amazing! :)

Tammy said...

This life is the test, that is for sure. I have been reading the book "Broken Things to Mend" by J.R. Holland I love his kind encouraging words and the Doctrine he teaches. How blessed we are to have the Atonement in our lives, to be partakers of this greatest of all gifts. He heals , He lifts, He lightens, He loves, He bares all we place at his feet. He comforts us in our deapest heartaches.
We do pray for your family, that heartache will be left by the way and that Happiness will return to your beautiful sweet daughter, it will be amazing to see the blessings on the other side of this trial, they will be there.
Sure love ya.!!!

Meg said...

I love the quotes that you placed in this blog. They are perfect and gve such hope amoungst the hard trial that has been placed upon Jos and your family. I am so thankful that admist these storms the gospel truth speaks clearer and calmer if you listen. I am so thankful that Jos is home safe and that she knows who she is and what she wants and was able to get out of the horrible situation before anything more transpired. I love you all so much and there are hundreds of prayers being offered up for you daily!

Cara said...

Oh Monica I just feel aweful with what Joslyn is going through, I had no idea. I know how she feels. Family and prayer is what's going to get her and your family through this. Let her know I am thinking of her and your family at this trying time.

Amber said...

I am so encouraged by your faith and examples. Thanks for sharing and lifting us all! Love you, sister!

Britt said...

Moni.....you are the BEST! No wonder you are one of my favorite people! So blessed to have a friend that is so wise and such a good example. Love you guys tons!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

I have always looked up to you in so many ways. One of them.... the wonderful mother that you are. Your strength and faith is such a blessing to those who know you, and especially your children. Thank you for sharing your trial and how you are finding peace. We love you.

Jill Heaps said...

I sent you a email and I hope you can use it love emily

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} said...

What a hard thing to go through. Sorry. Susan told me everything and I cannot even believe what your poor daughter has had to endure. You guys are so positive that you will get through it.
Christy

marilyn said...

Beautiful Monica, your family is amazing, how you pull together and with the gospel so strong in each of your lives, no doubt you will all come through this even stronger, Joslyn you are soooooo loved and you are going to find happiness beyond your dreams. We can't wait to have you with us in Utah"""""" love you whitings

The Breinholts said...

So inspiring! You guys are a wonderful example to all! We sure love you guys and are blessed to be around you!

Christina said...

Honestly, you guys are amazing. I am amazed and strengthened myself to read how strong your testimonies are! I love you guys and I love modern technology (blogs) so I can be in touch with family I have not kept in contact with over the years!
Thank you for sharing your testimony and for the quotes and inspiration you, Joslyn, and Laurissa always post! Not only are you building yourselves, but the ones all around you (even if we're not in the same state)!

Ging said...

Monica, that was so profound and beautiful! Thank goodness Jos has a great family to help her through this. You have been very kind in your words. I don't know if I could have stated it, or should I say "understated" the horrible wrong that Golden inflicted on our sweet innocent Jos! I will never forget what John's Dr. said to me after I found out about his "secret" life. Dr. Germanine said to me, "Ginger, you will be judged on how you handle this situation." At first I couldn't believe what he was saying to me. I hadn't done those horrible things, but I am greatful to a wise man that gave me that counsel! Thank goodness we have the Atonement in our lives! She will have some dificult times ahead, but she will be fine! Love you guys so much!

Gail said...

Thanks for calling me today and sharing with me what has happened. Joslyn is such an amazing person and so is your family. I don't think I have ever met a more spiritual family that loves their Savior. Y'all are an example to all. We will keep y'all in our prayers. I so loved your little write up about trials. How true all of that is. We love y'all!