Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Aebleskiver's~ a danish treat!

My friend Meg posted these on her blog a while back, so last week when I was at my favorite kitchen store I bought an Ableskiver pan. They are in between a pancake and a popover and make a yummy family night treat. You can fill them with just about anything. We made several varieties; fruit, chocolate melts, and mini peanut butter cups. They were all a hit.

Here's the recipe:
Great Grandma's Danish Aebleskiver
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs-separated
Optional: apple slices or other fruit for filling

Sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Add buttermilk and egg yolks. Beat egg whites untile light and fluffy, forming soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter.

Heat Aebleskiver pan on medium heat. Grease each cup (little butter or oil, or spray vegetable oil) and fill 2/3 full. Cook for approximately 1 to 1-1/2 minutes (per side) until golden brown, flip using a toothpick. When both sides are done serve with a sprinkle of confectioner's sugar. Best when served warm.

Optional: fill each cup only a 1/3 full with batter place a small amount of fruit in each cup and cover with an additional 1/3 batter.

yeilds: bout 35-40 Aebleskivers

5 comments:

Jolyn Buhrley said...

This is Lou's grandmas recipe! Isn't it yummy!! I like them more than pancakes! I haven't made them in a while.....I need to pull out my pan!

Christina said...

Wow! Those look yummy! I wish I looked that cute when cooking! You look like a star of a cooking show! Yum-oh!

Amber said...

I need to try these! Thanks for the reminder! I also want to try popovers.

Amber said...

You do look beautiful and ready for a cooking show. I love the bow on your belt!

marilyn said...

I agree you look like you should have your own cooking show, why not you do everything else! love you