Sunday, March 6, 2011

Inspiring Family Night

Tonight we had Jenny, who we know from church, over to teach us about Anasazi, since she is a trail walker for them.  Anasazi is a survival course for teens that teaches them a way to walk in the wilderness as well as life and to find their inner worth .  Jenny and two other trail walkers taught us all about the Anasazi ways, ancient philosophy's about walking forward by using the motto "We, instead of Me", to be others oriented. They taught us how to let go of the past and that we can have a spotless future by taking steps on a new path.  After the trail walkers shared about forward walking vs. backward walking and having a heart of peace vs. a heart of war and about challenging yourself to change, we tried fun recipes that they make while in the wilderness with limited ingredients.  It was amazing to see all the creative food that can be made with just different ways of putting it together.  Mac made us some yummy oatmeal cookie and some "wet dog".  We tried apples dipped in "tang" and "cheese powder"  I can see how delicious the food would be if you were starving in the wilderness.  Actually it wasn't that bad, but I think Joslyn might disagree.

The night ended by passing around what they call the "talking stick" and sharing an awakening that has occured in our lives.  We went around the circle sharing experiences that have been life altering in each of our lives.  I loved hearing each awakening from those I love.  I learn from all of you ways I can have courage to make life changes to walk forward each day in a new light.  Thank you Jenny for such an inspiring family night, one we will always remember.  Your light and love for others can be felt wherever you go!

6 comments:

Amber said...

Wish I was there! What an inspiring FHE. We need to have Mckay come teach us a few things. When I told the kids that I'd rather not be without toilet paper they said, "Mckay just used a rock!" Ummm.

Jolyn Buhrley said...

The people who work at Anasazi are truly special, and that is such an understatement. What a great night. Cheesy rice is actually pretty good. I'm with Joslyn on the wet dog...no thanks.;) However, you haven't tasted pizza sauce until you've tried it the anasazi way! amazing!! oh, and anasazi pop tarts are good...if you don't mind them coated in ash!

Britt said...

WOW Moni! I want to have her come to our FHE! So way cool.

marilyn said...

Amazing I wish we could have been there, I think I would have been a wimp like Josie, it doesn't look good to me, her face said it all, the pictures are so fun!!! Oh by the Way I left out something so importnat on my comment on you being a good mom to boys, I forget to put you are also an awesome wife, how could I have left that out! Love you

Jill Heaps said...

What an amazing experience! I wish I could have been there. You guys are having so much fun!! I love that you are blogging again :)

wendy said...

Anasazi is an amazing organization and how wonderful for you all to have such a cool experience like that and congrats to Jake on getting accepted to BYU!!