Saturday, October 4, 2008

What did I get myself into

You would think I would have learned my lesson by now. In the middle of the week while Wade was out of town I decided to stain my doors, a project that I have been wanting to get to for sometime! I'm always trying to save money and think that I can do it myself. Well I learned the hard way. I thought that I would just wipe on a stain and finish in about an hour. I started it after my work out and had a friend that needed help so I put it down to go help my friend in need. Then I got busy helping kids, so in between a mothers responsibilities I worked on the doors. To make a long story short it turned out to be a disaster----the stain wouldn't adhere, it was the wrong color, etc. After several trips to home depot and after trying several different techniques I called my friend Susan who we had just done her door in two hours the previous day. I told her I was giving up and going to hire somebody. She came to the rescue and saved the day with her willingness to stay up with me until 1:00 a.m. until the door was finished. She helped me strip the stain that was too dark and have the confidence that we could make it work with a lighter color. Now that is a good friend.
So I learned a lesson that night that I think makes a good life analogy. I believe we didn't really know what we were signing up for when we decided to come to earth and take on all the responsibilies that we undertake. And many times it is difficult and hard and we want to call it quits and give-up. But I've learned that we aren't in it alone. We have family and loved ones that we can call upon and they are always there for us. They believe in us and have faith in us. The inspire us to greatness. Many times we are on the verge of overcoming obstacles when we are exhausted and ready to give up! We just need to believe that the reward is around the corner.



The reward of perserverance! My doors turned out so beautiful! But not without much sacrifice, hard work, and sheer exhaustion!
I love my doors! It was all worth it! Thank you Susan for believing in me!

7 comments:

Amber said...

You always amazing me with the the things you are able to do to make a house beautiful and inviting. I love your analogy. Thanks for being there for me!

wendy said...

your door looks great! Good job. Yes, i saw my moms patch, and it looks so cute! I know it is so fun to catch w/those we don't get to see every day and feel like you get to know them just a little bit better by reading there blog. My mom wants to start a blog once she can see a littl better. Hopefully that will be soon!

Britt said...

It looks fantastic Monica! I know it has been on your "to do list". I enjoyed your analogy also. It is true....we have our angels(friends) to help us sometimes on this hard journey. They make it so much more enjoyable.
hugs,Britt

Meg said...

Love it!! So... something I do.. I always bite off more than I can chew and have to get threw it!! ahahhaha But I find out things that I can accomplish and they are even bigger than I thought! Way to go following it all the way through!

marilyn said...

way to go Monica, its great that everyting we do, we really can relate to a true learning life experience, it is too easy to give up, you will love that door everytime you walk into your house, that is what makies your house a "home", I always feel that when I am in your home it is you, your family and lots and lots of love. It is beautiful! I'll save my door for you . love mom

Anonymous said...

I love you!
MOM

Ging said...

Of all weekends for me to ask you to make me an eye patch. You are so amazing! Your door looked great! Everyone loves my eye patch. I was at the doctor yesterday and everyone loved it. The doctor said it was the best he had ever seen. I could tell everyone was so jelous! I gave you lemons and you made me lemonade! Thanks, I love you so much!