Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gratitude Door

Our Gratitude door was inspired by a book I read by my cousin Kristen Oaks titled "A Single Voice." It is an amazing read for not only singles but everyone! It is filled with so many inspirational stories and scriptures that can help us in our daily lives! I was very inspired by her chapter on Gratitude. She shares a story of a friend who under went cancer treatments and the things she was most grateful for. She put a large piece of paper on her door and everyone that came in or out recorded one thing that they were grateful for. So we decided to try it Jan 1st. It has been such an incredible month sharing our everyday grateful moments. It is amazing the many blessings we have in our lives! I realized while reading this book how many people have shared their life's lessons with my cousin and in return she has shared her life lessons with us in her book. I am so thankful for her book, she is truly an inspiration to me! I think that is truly the life lesson that inspires me most,is that we are all here to learn from each other! I think that is why I enjoy blogging so much because I learn from all of my family and friends who continually inspire me! I encourage you to make a gratitude door. The quote that she shares that the lady learned is that,"we cannot be unhappy and grateful at the same time." That is so true! It is contagious, even friends wanted to contribute to our gratitude door when they visited! It has been such a blessing in our home that I think we'll continue our gratitude door at least another month and hopefully continue in our hearts always!

8 comments:

michelle said...

I am going to have to pick this book up! Gratitude is such a special blessing! Thank you for posting this. It is just what I needed this morning!

Britt said...

Monica thanks for sharing. There is so many things in life to be grateful for. What a great idea to share them and have them smack dab in front of our faces.

joslyn marie said...

I love the gratitude door! It's such a neat idea. It really makes you realize how much there is to be thankful for!! Love you, thanks SO much for the yummy bread, flour and fruit!!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

I love this! I also still want to do your "choose a word" idea. I love hearing your ideas. I can't wait to start decorating our door!

We smiled when we clicked on the picture. We laughed at some of the things written-(the cell phone comment, "eye candy" .....:):)
I am grateful for you!!

I haven't been able to get thru to EFY today-it's been busy online and by phone all day. I will try tomorrow!

Tammy said...

I love your beautiful photogenic family Wow your all gorgious!
I haven't taken the Chef Brad class, so you have some teaching to do. I can make cookies :) I 'd love to do the grains thing and get your tips on pizza, have you ever grilled pizza? Lets make a date!
Oh no kidding being a Grandma is the best!! it was so hard seeing Chels go through all of what she did, but the result is amazing! I am a tad bit partial! I could hold him for hours and some times I get to, bath time is so fun too, oh its all good! :)

marilyn said...

What a great idea, I'm going to read that book, we all are lifted when we start thinking of all the things that we have to be thankful for, you are high on that list, thanks for your great ideas. love you

Amber said...

I would like to read her book. I love the gratitude door idea! Thanks for the inspiriation!

Meg said...

I am have been waiting to do a post on this book.. I LOVED it! Thanks for sharing it with me! It is by far one of the most inspiring books and I don't know how it touches others outside the single world (from what you say.. alot) but if I had money, I would give a copy of this book to every single that I knew! I was so inspired and felt so understood by reading that book. It sleeps right next to me in bed.. I am always re-reading it! I would highly recommend it to anyone single! Thanks Monica for sharing it with me and thanks Kristin for sharing it with me too!