Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hearty Healthy Soups

My favorite food in the winter is homemade soup! Not only do I love the aroma it spreads throughout the home but I love feeding my family a hearty healthy warm meal! Two of our family favorite soups are Lentil Vegetable and 17 Bean and Barley.

17 Bean & Barley Soup

  • 2 cups 17 Bean & Barley Bag of beans
  • 2- 32 oz. Vegetable broth
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 cup carrot, chopped
  • 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 can canned tomotoes
  • salt and pepper to taste

Soak beans overnight (optional) in a large pot of water, then rinse and drain. You can also pressure cook on high instead for 35 minutes. Pour 4 cups of vegetable broth into pot with the beans. In a separate pan, cook onion, celery, carrot, pepper, basil and garlic in olive oil until soft. Combine this mixture and remaining ingredients into the bean pot and cover with more broth. Simmer covered for about 1 hour to desired tenderness. Be sure to occasionally check liquid level and add more broth if necessary. salt and pepper to desired taste. Makes about 8 hearty servings.

Lentil Soup

  • 1 cup lentil clean well (soak for 30 minutes)
  • 1 cup carrot, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 tomato chopped
  • 1 can 16 oz. tomato sauce
  • 4-5 cups water
  • vegetable stock 1 lg. carton or cubes and add 4 cups water with cubes
  • 1 T garlic salt
  • salt and pepper to taste or salt substitute

Cook all ingredients together in pot and boil for 15 minutes! So easy and fast--- Enjoy!

7 comments:

michelle said...

Yum! I am so glad you posted these. I am going to give them both a try. WE LOVE a good bowl of soup. How was last night? I sure missed being there. :(

Amber said...

I remember years ago when you got me going on soup recipes! I love soup! I'll be trying these soon. Thanks!

Britt said...

Thanks for sharing these. I love soups with home made bread! yummy

joslyn marie said...

yummy!!! I wanna make them :)

Lisa said...

I came across your blog one day, and I enjoy it very much! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to trying these soup recipes!
Sincrely,
Your blog stocker (haha)

marilyn said...

I'm going to try these in my pressure cooker, I need to get cooking again, JIll is putting me to shame, she has turned in to miss Homemaker of America thank to her sister Monica

Tammy said...

we love soups and stews too. thanks for the recipes. I do cheat when it has been a busy day and fix a bear creek mix, I tries a new one Creamy Wild Rice oh it is really good. Thanks for shring.